Sunday, November 14, 2010

Catch up Post....

Well, I am going to see how much I can remember from the past few months, and try to do some catching up!

In August I took the kids to get haircuts. Austin got his second one, and he still did not like it. I took him to Paula, and it didn't go too well. He refuses to wear a cape, and he just doesn't like it. As I started to return to work, Austin spent some time at Missie's. Alyssa spent a couple days with her grandparents, and then she hung out with the Leita's and babysitters.

The first day of school....August 23, 2010.....UGH! The morning started okay. We were up early, and all were doing okay. I dropped Austin off early, so I could take Alyssa to McDonald's for breakfast. We met Jack, Meghan & Kendyl as well. Alyssa did great when I dropped her off at 1st grade! I think she was a bit scared, but returning to the same school was some security for her. I think I had to work harder to fight back tears.

I was not quite ready for my first week as I had hoped since we couldn't get into school as early as we wanted. It was still under lots of construction, and the place was still pretty crazy. I was only introducing myself to my second class when my sister was callling. I didn't answer right away, but then my classroom phone rang. That's when I knew it wasn't good. My sister was with my mom, and my dad had taken his last breath. ooooohhhh..... We had just gone to visit him that Friday night before, and he wasn't doing too good. He was talking a lot of nonsense (some which made me giggle), but he had a bad weekend as well. My sister was there early to try to talk to the doctors to see what was going on. I am thankful she was with my mom. The day just became quite an emotional and overwhelming one from there.

As I sit and think about all the things we did those few days...it all runs together. Doing things I had never even thought about until I was in that moment. You know all summer, I had thought I didn't want my dad to have to suffer with this darn cancer. But then only three months it took him away from us! Surely not ready.....hate this disease!

Chad ended up coming to meet me so we could head to Austin. One of my friends picked up Alyssa and my inlaws picked up Austin. Chad & I had been to Austin, LG, and back to NB. I don't think Alyssa really got it when I told her. She didn't really know how to react until she was around her older cousin. Alyssa went to school the next day, and my in-laws picked her up and brought her and Austin to LG with them. We were busy with the funeral home, collecting pictures, ordering flowers, helping mom get things, calling family, and other things you just don't think of.

I was totally overwhelmed with the love and support given to us. Some of my high school and college friends that attended the visitation and funeral simply took my breath away. There were also our friends from NB (and farther) who made the trip to show their love and support. I was overcome with emotion from seeing some of those 'dear' friends. The service was amazing, and quite emotional. My sister did a great job speaking about my dad, and my brother-in-law did an amazing job playing the guitar and singing. My poor niece struggled a lot....she LOVED her popo.

The day of the service was long, but made me smile in so many ways as well. As stubborn as my dad was, that church was full....about as full as the day I saw it on my wedding. Dad was a tough man at times...he told you how he felt.....but he still cared. Guess that is how I am a lot! After the service, we headed to the cemetary for a nice goodbye. The grandkids each had a balloon with a picture/note in it that they released to Popo in heaven. Then we went back to the church to visit with friends and family. That was nice. And, lastly we ended up at Mom's with family. Almost all the cousins were there....even the ones from out of state. It was nice to just visit and catch up with everyone. Stinks that it takes a death though to all stop and bring us all together...no matter what is going on.

We spent the rest of the weekend with my mom before heading back home. Once we returned home, Chad & I continued to be overwhelmed by the love and support we received! We still received a couple plants, food from my bunco group, and MORE food/cards from all my co-workers. I work at one of the most loving and supportive campuses I can even imagine. I will never be able to express my gratitude to all of them for their love and support shown. To this day....so many are still so considerate and ask about my mom.

Mom still continues to struggle, and I worry about her daily. I do make a point to call her nearly everyday on my way home....something I didn't do nearly enough before. Shortly after she lost dad, she lost Jasmine. My old dog, that they had for years. UGH! Seriously....I guess dad just couldn't live without her! I mean this is a dog they took to DQ for ice cream!

We continue to move on each day, but I think of dad often. I look at pictures when I can, and I am reminded to take more pictures too! I didn't have nearly enough of him with my kiddos!

As far as September goes....let's see what I can remember. My family came to visit us on Labor Day weekend. We even went to the river some to hang out with my cousins that were there. The kids had a BLAST swimming in the pool there while we visited. Momo babysat while the adults went to see the Spazmatics on Sunday evening. The kids had numerous doctors appointments. Alyssa has had ear infections, and after a few rounds of meds, we are on some allergy medicine. Hoping that will work! The doctor was concerned about Austin's weight gain, but it seems to be progressing slowly! I try not to worry about it too much....he is just a picky eater. He eats better at daycare than he does at home. So, thankfully that occurs!

Alyssa has enjoyed a couple birthday parties as well! She went to her friend Taytum's at her house, and then she went to her first bowling party for Meghan! I think she really enjoyed that as well...she wasn't sure what to do at first, but by the time I returned she seemed to have a lot of fun!

Fair weekend came and went as well! We attended the parade...met up with Kolby, Karsyn & Madyson. That was fun....other than a bit of rain on us! Austin did pretty well watching it also. On Sunday afternoon we went to the fair to ride rides & see the animals. Alyssa LOVES to ride rides....Austin....I don't think so much! We put him on a train/roller coaster, and he was NOT a fan!

Fair weekend also welcomed a new addition to our family....Merlot! He is an orange & white striped cat we adopted from the shelter. Dad is not a fan, but we are surviving. The smell from the litter is the biggest obstacle! Austin really likes the cat! Alyssa had her 1st grade school pictures, and she was also playing fall softball! That went well. Practices were once a week, and then games were on Saturdays. She improved, although she often struggled with hitting. Somehow we gotta put some meat on those bones! She loves to be the 'backer upper' to first base! Its so cute to watch the girls play at this age.

October came and went quickly! I have found how hard it is to watch volleyball and football games right now! It is a lot of work to take both kids by myself....well some may not think so but it is exhausting to me! I don't get to watch much of the game either. But we have made it to some!

Alyssa did the Aristocat dance clinic, and I think she really enjoyed it! She knew a few of the girls, so that was nice as well. The following Friday she danced before the Canyon game. She even joined in with the cheerleaders since she couldn't go to the clinic due to softball. That Friday night involved us eating at the HS before the game, dropping off Alyssa to dance, going to the pregame to watch her dance, then waiting for her to cheer, then going to see some of dad's game at SV, and then helping prepare the postgame meal for his staff! WHEW! I was pooped after that! BUT...it was FUN!

We got Austin another haircut as well....AWFUL!!! Took him to a place where I didn't know the people. He just didn't like it. Not sure what I will do with him. And, this one really cut it short, so no more of that baby style look. :(

We attended one of my former players' weddings...Chelsea was BEAUTIFUL! And so was the hall and everything about the wedding. The kids spent the evening with Ms. Cathy & Mr. Kevin! I think they had a blast too!

Then there was Alyssa's 1st grade 1st 9 weeks awards ceremony. She received a Golden Eagle Award for having all E's the 1st 9 weeks. She also received the Soaring Eagle Award....SO PROUD!!!!!!! This was an award given to ONE first grader in each class for going above their codes, being so helpful, etc... That just makes me smile. Her report card looked great, and her reading is ahead right now. She is at a 10 DRA I think. Her teacher had great things to say about her, which warmed my heart. She also told me she is VERY helpful towards her classmates, but she needs to tell them no sometimes to continue doing her work. :) And, she told her she needs to not worry about what others say to her if it bothers her. OH...poor thing already has that from me!

Halloween was a FUN day as well! We went to LoLo's house for a kid party. The kids had fun coloring, playing with bubbles & play-doh, playing on the swings & slides, riding in the wagon, and hitting the pinata. The pizza and cupcakes were great too! Alyssa was Dorothy. Austin was supposed to be a lion but he CRIED at the thought of me putting that on him. So, I ordered him a fly fisherman outfit. He looked PRECIOUS even though he wouldn't wear the hat. We lucked out borrowing a Dorothy dress for Alyssa, and then we found some red shoes for her! She was CUTE! After the party, we headed to go trick or treating with Kinley, Lathan & Ty. The little ones chilled in the wagon...most of the trip. The older ones enjoyed going up to get their candy as well.

And, then there was Wurstfest! Two of the greatest weekends in NB. We were fortunate to take the kids on both Saturdays, and then head back for some adult time in the evenings. Alyssa rode the rides, but Austin was not interested. On the second Saturday, the grandparents joined us also. We went to enjoy the music, rides, and the food! It was great! My sister and her family joined us that evening too. Then Momo watched the kids while we all went back for more music and food!

I had such great hopes for this past week since it was early release. I was going to get caught up on some things at work. HAH! Instead, I have been in pain since Monday morning...in my neck & upper shoulder area. After 3 visits to a chiropractor and an MRI....I have a herniated disc! SERIOUSLY! I don't even know how. Probably from all those nights of falling asleep on the couch grading papers, and then getting up to pick Austin out of bed since he woke up AGAIN! I hope to get some answers & direction tomorrow. It is painful though & very uncomfortable.

And, there have been showers for the two December brides. I helped host a shower for my friend Jamey a few weeks ago, and then yesterday was a shower for Megan. Alyssa is going to be a flower girl in both of these weddings. I can't wait to see how beautiful she will be. Megan was a junior bridesmaid in my wedding....:)

WHEW...that's all I can remember at this moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment